Do you have a graduating son or daughter? Are you throwing a party in their honor? If so, why not impress party-goers with graduation cap cookies?
If you want to know how to make graduation cookies, the main ingredients include cookie dough, modeling chocolate, and food coloring. You can also replace modeling chocolate with icing.
If you want unique cookies that taste excellent, consider making them from scratch. It's also a fun project for the family.
This article will show you how to make graduation cookies from scratch. Let's explore.
When making the caps and tassels, you can use modeling chocolate or icing. Modeling chocolate is a clay-like candy used to decorate sweets.
It derives from chocolate or candy melts. You'll use modeling chocolate to make the graduation caps and tassels. You can also use any type of food coloring.
If you want to make modeling chocolate from scratch, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 16 ounces of white chocolate (Buy 2 pounds if you intend to make many cookies)
- 1/3 cup of corn syrup (light) (Use 1 cup if you're making a larger batch)
- Food coloring of your choice (Include gold or yellow food coloring for the tassels)
To make modeling chocolate, refer to the following steps:
- Chop the white chocolate
- Melt the chocolate. You can use a microwave or a boiler. Don't overheat the chocolates.
- Allow it to cool at around 90 degrees. Stir repeatedly while cooling.
- Heat the corn syrup for 30 seconds in a microwave
- Include the corn syrup as the chocolate thickens
- Stir it to prevent clumping. Use a spatula when stirring. Don't stir excessively, as it could lead to clumping.
- Knead the mixture until it becomes smooth and silky. Add more corn syrup if it becomes too clumpy.
After, you're ready to add the coloring. Add a little bit of color at a time until you get the desired color. Add more white chocolate if you included too much coloring. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for an hour.
Modeling chocolate left at room temperature can last for several months. It will also last longer if you store it in a freezer. You can also use modeling chocolates on birthday sweets.
Next, you're going to create the tassels. Set aside two tablespoons of the chocolate when creating the tassels. Use more than two tablespoons if you're making a larger batch of cookies.
To make the caps, color the remaining chocolate with blue coloring, or any color of your choosing. Allow the chocolate to sit at room temperature for a half-hour. Use a graduation cookie cutter to carve out the graduation caps.
The Icing Method
If you choose the icing method, you'll need two types of icing: thick icing and thin icing. You can use any color for the caps, such as blue or black icing. Create thin icing by adding some water to it. Place the thick and thin icing in separate squeeze bottles.
Make The Dough
After creating the modeling chocolate, gather your cookie dough ingredients. You'll need the following items to make cookie dough from scratch:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of soft butter
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 a teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Then, proceed with the following steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the salt, baking powder, and flour in a large bowl.
- Mix the butter and cream until it's fluffy.
- Stir the vanilla extract, almond extract, and egg together.
- Include the remaining ingredients, and stir accordingly. Add flour if the dough is sticky.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface
- Roll the dough on the floured surface. Roll it to the thickness level of your choice. You can use a silicone mat and a little flour to minimize the sticking.
- Carve out the dough using graduation cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking sheet, and cook for 10 to 14 minutes.
- The cookies should be brown on the edges and have a firm surface.
Decorate With The Modeling Chocolate Or Icing
For modeling chocolate, apply a coat of corn syrup over the cookies, and apply the blue modeling to make the cap. Press the chocolate firmly to the cookie.
If you're using icing, start by outlining the cookie with the thick icing. Then, fill in the cookie with the thin icing. Allow the icing to dry for at least 12 hours.
After it dries, apply more thick icing to outline the hat and create dimension. Moreover, outline the base of the cap with the thick icing to create a 3D look.
Add The Tassels
You have two options when adding the tassels: rolling them together or using a clay extruder. Before adding the strands, apply some corn syrup to the center. The extruder method is the easiest.
The extruder will cut the chocolate into small strands of one inch. The extruder should also have multiple holes that allow you to make several strands at once.
Adding Tassels With Icing
If you use icing, apply the thick icing in the extruder. After making the tassels. Roll small pieces of the chocolate to make the cap button. Repeat as necessary for the remaining cookies.
How To Make Graduation Cookies The Right Way
If you want to know how to make graduation cookies efficiently, you need modeling chocolate or icing. Modeling chocolate is a candy coating that allows you to customize the cookies.
If you want original cookies, make them from scratch. Apply the modeling chocolate after you bake the cookie dough.
Are you in a hurry and need cookies delivered to your door? Click here to order your cookies today!